Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Piece #30 - Unfinished Symphony - Franz Schubert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU_giDkzwb0&feature=related

The NY Times lists Franz Schubert as the fourth greatest composer of all time. While I think Schubert is a genius, this ranking seems a bit high to me.

Factoids:
  • Much like Mendelssohn and Mozart, Franz Schubert tragically died early, not living to see his 31st birthday.
  • Like many other brilliant composers, Schubert's greatness was not fully realized until after his passing.
  • He lived a sad life and was vastly underappreciated aside from a select group of patrons and friends.
  • You may recognize some of his other works include: The Erl King, Ave Maria and his famous song cycle Wintereisse.
  • Schubert was perhaps most famous for his contribution to the genre of German Lied or German Song.
  • In his pieces he writes characterful accompaniments, and increases the role of the pianist.
  • Because of this, his works sound more like a duet between singer and piano rather than the typical idea of soloist with piano support.

  • It is widely accepted that his "Unfinished Symphony" is No. 8, although some scholars suggest it may be No. 7.
  • It is characterized as "Unfinished" because Schubert only managed to complete two of the four movements.
  • It is unclear why this work was left incomplete as these movements were written roughly six years before his death.

On a side note, the opening passage always reminds me of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake...no?

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. "On a side note, the opening passage always reminds me of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake...no?"

    Me too. I googled "schubert unfinished tchaikowsky swan lake" and found your blog. Happy to confirm what my ears have been telling me for some. time. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. I also thought the intro of the symphony was quite similar to Tchaikowsky's Swan Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here. I also thought the intro of the symphony was quite similar to Tchaikowsky's Swan Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god, me too! I spent the last few hours trying to work out where Schubert Unfinished was used in popular culture as I recognised it so well but found no decent results. So glad I found this blog, ahhh, that makes so much sense as I know Swan Lake very very well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. resemblance of Shubert's 8th and the Swan Lake First Movement themes is very apparent and mysterious for me for years and I never found any professionals commenting on it. However, in 'popular culture' it was used entirely elsewhere :D it's one of the main themes of The Smurfs!

      Delete
  5. Yes! it resembles swan lake, or should I say swan lake resembles Schubert? It was written before Tchaikovsky was even born :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also here because my orchestra is now rehearsing Schubert’s Unfinished, and I keep thinking of Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake.

    ReplyDelete