Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Piece #1 Edward Elgar, Nimrod from Enigma Variations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgoBb8m1eE

While I don't have children, I'd imagine choosing a favorite piece would be like selecting a favorite among your children. I chose this work because I am always drawn to this piece. I can't really explain it, but it puts me at ease, even in the midst of the most stressful frustrating day.

Factoids:
  • This is one of 14 variations that make up the larger work titled Enigma Variations
    • op. 36 for those of you keeping score at home.
  • The larger work begins with a "theme" or melody which is then repeated 14 times with slight modifications. Each of these 14 repetitions maintain the integrity of the original melody but the rhythm, harmony, meter, and melody are slightly modified although the original theme remains recognizable.
  • Elgar dedicated each of the variations to his friends, using their initials, or in this case a nickname as a title.

1 comment: