Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Piece #13 - Crucifixus - Antonio Lotti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ9dXLmRlpo

When I was student teaching, I used this piece as a listening assignment. Without giving the students any information about the piece, including the title, I played it for them. After the piece was done, I asked them what they thought the text was about. To my amazement the first to responses were, "it sounds like the story of a death," and "it sounds as though people are mourning." These two answers were spot on, and really hit the primary affect intended. I think it's pretty interesting that a group of 16 year old students can pinpoint the meaning of a piece 300-plus years after it's been written - now THAT is the sign of a master composition.

Factoids:
  • Although Lotti was a fairly prolific composer in terms of output, this is without question his greatest hit.
    • Additionally, this may be considered the finest "one hit wonder" in all of choral music.

  • When I first heard this piece, I was very surprised to find that Lotti worked in the Baroque period, which took place in the 17th to mid-18th centuries.
    • The extensive use of suspensions coupled with moments of extreme polyphony make this sound as though it were written in the Renaissance Period.
      • Additionally, a cappella works were more prevalent in the Renaissance as opposed to the more ornate Baroque Period.
  • You can't help but hear the weighted sound in this piece.
    • I think this gives that feel of weeping my students mentioned.

  • Does anyone hear some of the Bruckner motets in this?
    • Anybody..anybody?

Happy Listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment