Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Piece #20 - So Many People - Stephen Sondheim


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OAh9aGDwQU

Sadly this is the best recording I could find on youtube. While Audra is truly wonderful, I am not sure I like this as a part of a medley.


I am typically not a musical theater fanatic...so mark it, Matt Travis has written about something from a musical!

Props to my lovely sister for pointing out this piece. I couldn't help but notice the text, which really spoke to me, particularly the lines, "so many people laugh at what they don't know," and "the man means more than the means."
Have a look at the entire text for this wonderful piece:

I said the man for me must have a castle.
A man of means he'd be, A man of fame.
And then I met a man who hadn't any,
Without a penny to his name.
I had to go and fall for so much less than
What I had planned from all the magazines
I should be good and sore, what am i happy for?
I guess the man means more than the means.


They'll never know love like my love for you.
So many people laugh and what they don't know
Well, that's their concern
If just a few, say half a million or so, could see us, they'd learn.
So many people in the world don't know what they've missed.
They'd never believe such joy could exist.
And if they tell us its a thing we will outgrow, they're jealous as they can be.
hat with so many people in the world you love me
Factoids:
  • I was surprised to know that Sondheim is one of the most decorated composers of all time, having racked up 8 Tony Awards (most of any composers), a Pulitzer Prize, and several Grammy Awards.
  • FYI, he received the Pulitzer for Sunday in the Park with George
  • Additionally, he wrote lyrics for the little known Leonard Bernstein show, West Side Story.
  • Other famous musicals write by Sondheim include: Into the Woods, Company, A Little  Night Music,and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.
  • In writing A Little Night Music he completed one of the most widely recognizable songs of all time, Send in the Clowns.

Have a good one!

1 comment: