Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Piece #11 Che gelida manina (La Boheme) Giacomo Puccini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpxXlhTP8os

I am very excited to be taking my students to see a performance of "Boheme" at the Met in a few weeks. Needless to say we have been studying and digesting the piece so we can fully understand it when we arrive at Lincoln Center. Typically I do not like to write about works I am studying and teaching. My original intent was to use this as a way to expose myself to new works, or think about familiar wotks in a more critical manner, rather than write about works I am teaching. Having said that, I have heard Act I of Boheme dozens of times, and it still thrills me, so I must make an exception just this once!

Factoids:
  • This aria occurs midway through Act I of "Boheme."
  • Rodolfo, the writer, is alone in his Parisian apartment.
  • His neighbor,the frail Mimi, knocks on the door, and asks him to light her extinguished candle.
  • The two have almost an immediate attraction.
  • Rodolfo sings this aria as he grabs her cold hands.
  • A rough translation of Che gelida manina is "your icy little hand"
  • Rodolfo continues to sing of his work as a poet, boasting that although he is poor he has the soul of a millionaire.
  • As the piece ends,  Rodolfo asks Mimi to tell him about herself.
  • Mimi responds with her equally famous aria, Si, mi chiamano, Mimi or "Yes, I'm called Mimi."

  • When I listen to the opening passage, I can't help but think of a first meeting with a new love interest.
  • The instrumentation is sparse, aside from lush string interjections and the harp.
  • I can't help but think of this section as timid and playful, much like a first date.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment