Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Piece #46 - Symphony No. 4, mvt 1 - Johannes Brahms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bdv0GaOcBg

Yesterday I spoke about a pop tune I classified as "comfort music," I'd give this movement by Brahms the same distinction. I know that if I have had a miserable day I can listen to this movement and smile.

Factoids:
  • This is the last symphony completed by Brahms.
  • His first major symphonic work was his famous German Requiem.

  • As discussed in the previous excerpt from this piece, Brahms was classified as a more conservative composer for his era.
    • He was constantly interested in those working before him, which is especially evident in the final movement of this symphony.
      • Brahms was especially fond of the work of Beethoven.
      • In his first symphony there is a chorale much like the one in Beethoven's 9th symphony.
    • We all know that Beethoven's famous 5th symphony is based on a 4 note cell (bum bum bum bum)
      • This movement is based on a 2-note cell (short-long)
        • While it's inconclusive, Brahms could have been tipping his hat to Herr Beethoven.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment